Monday, June 21, 2010

Nocturnality


Today I went back to school with exactly two hours of sleep behind me.

In the world of Lord of the Rings, death is considered a gift from God to all Men. I've no comment on that, but one thing I know for sure - sleep is a gift from God to all of us.

I couldn't sleep again yesterday, which pretty much sucked since I'd resisted ordering the best caffe latte in the world when we went out for our sixth Father's Day event of the day. So at 2.30a.m. what the heck, if I'm going to be deprived of restorative unconsciousness I might as well go and watch Kaka Brazil trash Ivory Coast rather than keep tossing and turning. Even half an hour after the match ended sleep still hadn't kicked in, and I was left to fume over the injustice of Kaka being sent off during the last five minutes for no apparent reason whatsoever. Well, there was a reason. Some idiot supposedly got elbowed in the chest by Kaka and rolled over the pitch clutching his face in agony until the stupid ref gave Kaka his second yellow card.

Ah yes, school.

Pigs like me, need sleep to function. The whole day my hands kept shaking of their own accord, I felt nervous and lightheaded, my face kept breaking out in sweat and I moaned of sleep until everyone around me probably felt like killing me. I got exam papers back (oh joy) and got betrayed by one of my own girls to Pn. Manjeet. I had to jam scalding roti planta down my throat because I was too hungry to wait 'til after recess when I would have more time. Pn. Sarala rebuked me for what she calls "not so good" marks while I had "you passed" scrawled on my 85/120 Physics paper while someone else who had just 5 marks higher than me had a "Good!" written on it. The cacti I gave my friends as souvenirs from Cameron Highlands "somehow" got their little cactusy-pricks lodged into my skin at the hands, arms, neck (and if you ask me face, legs and feet too). And now, I am at the computer fighting tooth and nail against the sleep that is beckoning to me because I want to be able to get a decent night's sleep for once.

But no, don't think of this as a rant, just recording down my day. I am... happy. It's what I've used to describe myself these past few weeks and today, it's not changed. I've no regrets watching the game because now I have a newfound liking for Brazil and I got a chance to see Kaka play that I'd miss in the upcoming matches. It was great getting back with ma girls, and I felt real glad that they liked their cacti. Although Nicole got a bit too enthusiastic - she killed hers. It's as good as dead now. And I got a uniquely lovely souvenir too, from Aqeemul's homenation, from Chaly. There was no maths today (!) and the weather was cooling. I got to listen to the guys discuss footie and talk boys with Pirevan.

Tomorrow is another issue altogether. But we take the days as they come - one at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment