Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Fact vs Fiction

They say we go to school to learn new things, to be educated, to find out how things work, and why things are, and that we come back with our minds filled with knowledge so we may see the world in a whole new enlightened way.

Bosh.

The more I learn, the more miserable I get. This happens in Physics class more than anything else. The most prime example:

What is an echo?
An echo is a nymph, a lovely fairy who lives in dells and open spaces, who imitates your voice perfectly in the way that only she can.

Yes, I suppose I really believe that.
(This in response to the incredulous question posed to me by people whom I've told this to.)

I wish that rainbows were really the path of the Greek messenger Iris between earth and heaven. Chase it to its end, you'll find a leprechaun with a pot of gold. That every tree - a proper, woodsy tree, has a dryad. That sleep is a place, which is why we go to it every night. That stars don't die in supernovas and end in blackholes - they move on to be reborn as something else, mostly in human form. That Helios the sun-god drives his fiery sun-chariot from the east to the west each day. That when night falls, an immense curtain of dark velvet is actually being stretched across the bright sky - stars are the holes in it, so you can see light shining through. That the moon - no, don't get me started on the moon. 

No, by the way, I'm sadly not brilliant enough to come up with all this on my own - these are just some of beautiful things that you could get from books, legend, and cartoons. But no bemoaning, right? With every day, every hour I'm not in school, or wasting time on the Internet, or studying for SPM, or lazing around or hanging out - every hour I reserve for myself for things like this, I will be able to learn.

 "I was very much provoked. Of course, I knew there are no fairies; but that needn't prevent my thinking there is." -Anne of Avonlea

No comments:

Post a Comment