Thursday, September 23, 2010

Mid-Autumn

Happy Mooncake Festival, sweethearts!

It's almost midnight and what I'm doing now is sweating like a mad cow, and trying to stop sweating like the aforesaid mad cow so I can go bathe and wash my hair before going to sleep for school tomorrow, and I'm going to do a very nice draggy post while doing so.

On Monday, we, meaning Jacie Tan Cheng Hwee, Ng Li Sar, (Nicole) Low Yen Yi, Kee Joey and Chalystha Lee Yie Qin made a very random decision while Pn. Kokilam was teaching, to come to my house on Wednesday to celebrate the lantern festival.

Yeah, now it's Wednesday and the girls just went home after we had the night of our life - which I'm going to try my best to write down here, but I'm telling you, being the lame people we are, it's not easy man. It's going to be a long post, but I don't care, because moments like this don't come all the time. This post is so special it's green.

My awesome mom was very semangated about the whole thing and baked brownies yesterday and baked banana cupcakes today - she can't resist a chance to bake for my friends so they can compliment her - so we got a whole party-like atmosphere going on - a table outside for us and lanterns and all at the ready.

When the girls finally turned up at nearly nine p.m., they insisted on dragging the table out away from the lovely fan on the porch so we could sit under the open sky and full moon. First we syiok sendiri-ed fighting to get "nice" lanterns - mine was the prettiest, red and Mulan-ish, Li Sar's was a rabbit with a humongous head, Cha's was Kitty-kat, Joey's Pokeman, Nicole's pink. Then we kept drinking ti kun yam in the tiny little Chinese traditional tea set (Li Sar: Mooncake festival cultural a bit la! Drink tea!) and fooling around with Joey's DSLR. Oh yeah, pics with Joey, goodness knows when we'll see them la. We ate mooncake and banana cupcakes until we nearly burst and then decided to go for a lantern walk.

The walk was damn random. We brought my mom so she could take pictures and my sister carried the dog. We were sorta fooling around and singing and walking by the row of houses with lots of dogs, and then we decided to walk by the row of Indian shops, mainly Paandi's and Grand City. Because we love Indian people. We screamed "Happy Mooncake Festival" to any person unfortunate lucky enough to be in our way and "Selamat Hari Raya" to this Malay family who just stood and stared at us.

And then we started singing.

Wake up in the morning feeling like P Diddy
Grab my glasses I'm out the door I'm gonna hit this city.

I'm telling you, the people who were lucky enough to be sitting outside at Sri Paandi's had an experience they'll never forget la. How often is it you go mamak at 10.30pm and then see five girls carrying lanterns, walking the night streets, singing the full lyrics to Kesha's Tik Tok at the top of their voices? (We actually reached the bridge and repeated the chorus.) You, dear person, are sorry you missed it. All the people at Paandi's stopped eating and turned their chairs around to stare at us, some were cheering, and all the waiters and Grand City (some of which know me, homg) came out and stood there in a line to stare at us.

'cause we awesome people.

(Btw my mom and sister were walking as far behind us as possible.)

And then when my dad came home from his meeting (and demonstrated his awesome parking skills inside joke) we decided to sing the song we'd been rehearsing all night, Yue liang dai biao wo de xin  to him, so we called him out of the house and stood in a row with the lanterns so he could listen to us. And when we got through half way, staring off with an epic "ni wen, wo ai, ni you, duo shen", he totally interrupted us and said, "I think you singing it wrong."

-.-

We love you too, daddy.

And then we sat back outside and had my mom's brownies with ice cream and drank more tea and then we sorta played with some fireworks. But time was running short because Joey's mom was already mad that she wasn't home by eleven and turned up at about 11.30 with calling first. Because Joey's mom is smart - you don't call, your daughter can't make excuses.

Thanks to the best friend Li Sar for staying back and helping me clear up. :) And nicole too la, kay.

All in all, it was an epic night I'll never forget. All five of us celebrated it together, which is like a miracle in itself, and I'll never forget this night just like I'll never forget you girls.

HEAR THAT, LOW? DON'T FORGET US, KAY?

This post was so long and draggy I didn't get to fit it in before midnight, but who cares. Oh, and it started raining! Praise the Lord for holding off the weather for us. Beautiful moon, too, by the way.

Thank you for reading. :)

1 comment: