Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Anne movies, and Gilbert Blythe



Everyone should know I've always wanted to be like Anne, just like Anne, ever since I read the books. So my sister and Mark got me an early Christmas present, the 3 Anne movies on DVD: Anne of Green Gables (1985), Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel, and Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story. The first was alright. It followed the story line. The second I fast forwarded through a lot, because there was hardly any Gilbert in it, and I didn't really like the storyline, which was loosely based on some of the books, which I didn't much fancy either... The third was ghastly. It was okay, because there was Gilbert there, but... it took so long for them to actually get married even when they were engaged, because... gah, it hurts me to think about it... and when they do get hitched... Gil goes off to war... and Anne follows him... and there's this annoying spy who's in love with her... and I miss Gilbert, who becomes a POW... anyway, I still liked it, even though this time the movie was entirely NOT based on the bok.

Megan Follow's physique for Anne is wrong, but her acting is great. Well, you can't expect every character to look like how you thought they should look, so I was pretty patient while watching the movie with all the characters who didn't fit and all the created story lines.

But I have no complaints about Gilbert Blythe. I love Gil. I want to be Anne so I can marry Gil. I fell in love with Gilbert Blythe the minute my eyes first rested on his name, spelled out on the page of my book. When I was, I don't know, in primary school. What's so surprising? I fell in love with Aragorn on paper too, and Tolkien didn't even give me a proper description of him.

Anyway, dedicating this post to Gilbert now.


This is Gil when he was haha, thirteen?

Poor Gil. So in love with Anne.

And yet always rejected.

Drools..


My poor Gil after being a prisoner-of-war for years.


Ladies and gentlemen, Gilbert Blythe.

A Gil quote, from the book: "...there never could be anyone else for me but you. I've loved you ever since that day you broke your slate over my head in school."

Yes, because sadly Anne smashed a slate, or a miniature blackboard, over Gilbert Blythe's head the first time they met, 14 years before he married her, and broke it.

Then she wouldn't talk to him for five years, and then became friends with him for four years, after which she got scared when he said he loved her, so she left him again for two years, finally realised she belonged with him and got engaged and waited three more years. If you went according to the movie, two days after the wedding he went off to war for another four more years or so.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in love with Gilbert too. He's the perfect man, my hero <3!

    ReplyDelete