Friday, January 21, 2011

Criminal Minds S01

Yesterday, in addition to watching the new episode of White Collar, Bones, and NCIS, I watched a Season 1 episode of Criminal Minds. (I went on Wikipedia to read the episode guide so I could choose which earlier episodes to watch.) You see, I only started watching Criminal Minds in about Season 3 or so, so watching Season 1 was a bit of a shock for me. Reid had very, very bad hair, and dressed like a nerd who lives in a library. Garcia too hadn't really developed her sense of fashion yet. Morgan was very mean to Reid, before he started showing a lot more affection towards the our beloved Spencer.

But the greatest shock was Aaron Hotchner.

Hotch used to smile. He used to laugh, make jokes, and in Season 1 I could actually see his eyes - because he wasn't wearing his perpetual frown! And how happily in love he was with Haley, before his work started eating him up! It made me so sad, that I started remembering all the sad things that ruined Hotch's life in the later seasons I'd watched, mainly due to what the Reaper did to him. I came to school today to sit Gan down and make him listen to me tell him the story of Aaron Hotchner's life. I felt so depressed while telling it I nearly cried. I think I even managed to affect him slightly by my very miserable tale. He did offer his standard "It's just a show!" reply, but I pointed out to him that since I spent an average of 24 hours a season watching it, that argument is not really valid. If you want to hear the story (zomg sadist/masochist!), do come let me ruin your day. If you know what I'm talking about, if you're not feeling the slightest bit of empathy right now there is something extremely wrong with you. This is the real reason why I stopped watching Criminal Minds for a while. Not really because of Reid. I guess I just used fangirling over Reid as a way to get over Hotch's story.

Anyway, the episode I watched yesterday was L.D.S.K., S01E06. Spoiler alert! I chose to watch it because I read that Reid failed his gun qualification test, and then was taken hostage together with Hotch. Hoho, it was a very good episode. Not too gory either. (L.D.S.K. stands for Long Distance Serial Killer, which basically means sniping, which is very clean-cut as far as Criminal Minds murderers go.) It was so, so, cute. Morgan tackled Reid to the ground, because poor Reid was the only one who wasn't told that the sniper was about!

"Reid, get down!"
From tumblr.

I felt sad, though, when Hotch had to say a lot of nasty things about Reid and kick him repeatedly while he writhed on the ground. No, not really. (Everything was fine when Reid whipped out Hotch's gun and shot the insane dude in the forehead, execution-style.)

"You alright?"
"Yeah."
"Nice shot."
"I was aiming for his leg."

And then the sad part came.

"I wouldn't have kept kicking but I was afraid you didn't get my plans."
"I got your plan the minute you moved the hostages out of my line of fire."
"Well I hope I didn't hurt you too  badly."
"Hotch, I was a twelve-year-old child prodigy in a Las Vegas public high school. You kick like a nine-year-old girl."

It's sad. It is. Because Reid was a victim of bullying, and bullying is a terrible thing. I've never thought that bullying occurs in my school. Does it? I know all the people in my form - I know the Chinese gang, the Indian gang, the Malay gang (not being racist - that's just the way they're segregated!) and I can't believe that any of them would truly terrorise a smaller kid. Would they? How could anyone be so truly inhuman and cruel?

Aih, extra-long post today to make up for the lack of one this past week.

P.S. Have I mentioned that in every episode of Criminal Minds, one of the characters would quote a wise saying, or a proverb? I live for those quotes. I love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment