Sunday, August 29, 2010

Classics

*Warning: This post is about books.*

One of the goals I've been planning to accomplish before I die is to finish reading War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. Because I've heard it's a majorly boring book translated from Russian and it's like askfjoiufakjd long. Dear readers, I have just told you a very important fact about myself. Cherish it.


So when I found out from The Last Song that Leo Tolstoy has actually written a book that isn't askrjoeuixjcfasdf long, I resolved to buy it and give it a try. To prepare myself before my big task of reading War and Peace. I have no idea what Anna Karenina is about, btw. When my mom asked me about it as we were buying it, all I could say was that it was about a rich and beautiful Russian high-society lady who ditches her husband for a wealthy army officer, and presumably dies at the end. :)

Ah, classics. Every once in a while I force myself to buy a classic and read it through to the end, and in this instance, it's Anna Karenina. I don't even know why I do this. The last classic I read was Wuthering Heights, and that book was just so despicably horrible that I'm sure I have mental and emotional scars from reading it, just like when I forced myself to read The Lord of the Flies. Those are the really horribly sick classics. Then there are those that just make you fall asleep every time you turn a page, and if I wanted to tackle one of those, I'd just go to my big fat Shakespeare book and try to read through a drama.

Hanging around the classics section so much lately, I realise there are so-o many classics I haven't read yet. Sigh.

And it's all very well that I've got books to read, but the fact remains that I have been waiting for more than a year and a half for Beka Cooper: Bloodhound to come out in paperback. Now I'm living in fear that it will remain in hardcover forever. And no way are my parents going to buy it for me at sixty bucks. :( I need this book. It's supposed to be the twenty-third book in my Tamora Pierce collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment