Sunday, November 7, 2010

Gan Yi Quan

Today my dad told me to call "Ah Gan" (he calls him that) to ask if "Ah Gan" knew of a specific Thai restaurant that may or may not exist, near his place.

So I obediently rung my best guy friend up, the same one who turned sixteen last Friday.

I don't really know what to say. My potato. My basket boy. Mano, Gannie, vuvuzela boy, Alex Gan, Joey Gan, Watson. All these names I've given to him over the years. Well, it wasn't that long. And he's not like, dead, you know. All I know is it's about time I dedicated a blogpost to my best friend Gan.

Gan's one of those really rare friends who gives you the sense of security of knowing you'll always be friends. He's the kind you can spend a week not talking to and somehow still be on the same track, the same page. Even if you're not always on the same wavelength. Gan's a friend that you can spend hours with without saying a single word, because there's just that sense of comfort and companionable silence.

I can still remember a moment when I first started realising this, and I think it was in Form 2 someone says it's Form 1. He'd've forgotten all about it, but I still remember that time when we were both standing on chairs so we could look out those small, high-placed ventilation windows in our classroom in Block A. Well. We weren't really just looking out at the road for fun. I think we wanted the breeze. Anyway, I still hold on to that memory. And now I'm looking back at it, I'm quite sure Gannie and I became closer because of Lord of the Rings. Gan was an LOTR gamer, and I was a book-and-movie buff, but the second I found out he really knew his way around Middle Earth he shot up a few hundred levels in my esteem. After all, Gan was the one who memorised the Hobbit runes with me.

I don't know what else to say. My best guy friend, my IT technician, former Wall-to-Wall spam partner, ex-mapleSEA player, fellow LOTRian, almost like my brother in some ways. Like I said, he's not dead. And Gannie's never really been a fan of torrents of words either. So I'm just going to end it here. Sorry it took me so long to get down to it, Gannie-boy. Inspiration can't be rushed *cough*. Lunch on Thursday at MidV, my treat, don't forget.


GANNIE, WE EFFING NEED TO TAKE MORE PICTURES TOGETHER. THIS IS ONE OF THE FEW THAT HAS BOTH YOU AND ME IN IT.

Oh and my mom says happy belated birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment