Thursday, July 15, 2010

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Yesterday, went to the Curve unexpectedly to cut my hair. As usual I snuck off to Borders. No-one can keep me out of Borders, really. Even out with my friends, that's where I usually end up, even if it's just a few minutes. Oh, no-one but my sister. But that's because mostly she just yells.


There's this book I really really really want - that I would buy on the spot it if it weren't RM50 - Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I suppose it could count as the fourth book in my Pride and Prejudice collection, even if it isn't the original text like my first three copies are. Tee hee.

Anyway, Borders was weird. Because, I went to the counter on the first floor, and said, "Excuse me, where is the Humour section?", to which the guy cried, "Human section?!"

Anyway it turned out to be upstairs, and when I still couldn't find it (I know I suck, I usually am not this lousy) I went to the counter on this floor instead. And this was just weird.

me
Hey, where is the Humour section?
weird guy
I need to tie my shoelace!

At which he ducks down behind the counter, completely disappearing from my sight, for really long. Like, longer than I would take to tie a shoelace. I was beginning to worry if he'd fallen into a coma or something when he resurfaced.

weird guy (really perkily)
Right this way ma'am - follow me!

We reach the Humour section, and then he lingers. I realise I recognise him. I think I had another weird episode with him before. I think he's Malay, but he reminds me of a smaller, much slimmer version of Mr. Thanabalan.

weird guy
So, looking for a particular book?
me (points)
Yeah, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
weird guy (gets book)
Hey you know it's gonna be made into a movie soon?
me
Seriously? Oh yeah it is! Starring that girl who looks like Keira Knightley, right?
weird guy
Natalie Portman?
me
Yeah, that's the one!
weird guy
Funny you should say that.
me
Why?
weird guy
That Keira Knightley looks like Natalie Portman.
me (confused)
But she does.
weird guy
You should say, Natalie Portman looks like Keira Knightley.
me
But... Keira Knightley was in the first movie.
weird guy (starts speaking very fast)
On the contrary, Natalie Portman has been in movies far before Keira Knightley came along...
me
But... Keira Knightley was in the first movie.
weird guy
(proceeds to babble on about NP)
me (slowly and clearly)
Keira Knightley starred in the first movie. The Pride and Prejudice movie.
weird guy
That's... oh, that... that makes sense. Keira Knightley made the... OH.... the first... Ahh... So that's why Natalie Portman... Second movie.. Ahh... That makes sense... That makes sense!
(begins hitting his forehead really, really hard)
me
Okay.
weird guy (hands over book)
I'll leave you to enjoy your book now.
me
Thanks.

I'm kinda proud of myself really. That I didn't fall into my normal habit of simply saying things I know not to be true or something I don't think - lying, really - to people I don't know, people I'm not close to.

Anyway, this is a Natalie Portman on the left, and Keira Knightley on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment